Monday, December 22, 2008

The Hanegraaf Easel


A very good friend of mine, Peter Hanegraaf whom I met in Pasadena, built a customized easel for me back in 1998. I remember when I spoke to him about it, he just jotted down a few notes and asked a few questions about what I wanted in design. All I wanted was an easel that could spin around and turn upside down because I liked to paint upsides down sometimes, especially when I get stuck creatively. A few weeks later, he surprised me with the beautiful easel mounted on a lazy susan. It is adjustable to accomadate small and large canvases and it also has a 'hand brake' to lock to whatever angle I set my canvas at.

It is now 2008, very close to 2009 and I am finally able to mount this easel onto my studio wall! I had it done tonight and I am very eager to use it. Why did it take so long for me to mount it? I am currently living in a house where my studio is finally big enough to accommodate a spinning wall mounted easel! Ten years, three cities and 4 children later I finally have this beautiful easel up and ready to go! I'm naming this the 'Hanegraaf Easel', after Peter. Peter, if you are reading this, you are a good man. Oh by the way, Peter built this for me free of charge. Good man indeed.

5 comments:

Christopher Thornock said...

Hey, mine only goes up and down. Sigh.

mondotrasho said...

I for one would be grateful if he released the plans for this easel to the general public. I've built one easel for big work at home but need something like this for my downtown studio. Does it dismount from the wall easily? ~m

Unknown said...

yes it does dismount fairly easily, 2 long screws is all. There's a really neat easel you can purchase though, through Utrecht called the Windmill easel. You should check it out.

Shane Pierce said...

awesome idea - I am seriously jealous!:) thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Shane! How are you! Get the one from Utrecht, that easel looks just as good, maybe even better. IT's called the 'Windmill'