Monday, November 17, 2008

Santa Monica Freeway 002


Here's my second take on an earlier painting I did of the 10 Freeway in L.A. I wasn't quite satisfied with how the first painting turned out (See post on 9/7/2008).

Finished with a Alizarin/Transparent Orange glaze, then a Transparent Earth Yellow glaze and lastly a Ultramarine Blue/Burnt Umber glaze on the bottom half, all with drying times in between.

Need to crate this up tonight and hopefully make it in for our annual Holiday Show!

72" x 14" / Oil on canvas

3 comments:

Jared Shear said...

Nice one Donald! I love the brushwork on this one. The whole freeway seems charged with energy. Hope your show goes well.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jared! I'm starting to like these freeway themes. Honestly, I don't think that black Toyota Highlander on the left was ever resolved. I wrestled with it for a few sessions and I finally had to let it go. How are things on your end?

Jared Shear said...

Yeah, I can see what you mean on the Toyota....especially on it's side where it flattens out and loses definition. I think with a few well placed brush strokes you would be able to bring that form back out......but easier to say than do.

Things have been going good on my end. Sold quite a few pieces earlier this fall, which I was thankful for that. Getting ready for the long dark cold winter. Stocking up on blue, gray, and more gray......haha