Monday, November 17, 2008

Santa Monica Freeway 002


Here's my second take on an earlier painting I did of the 10 Freeway in L.A. I wasn't quite satisfied with how the first painting turned out (See post on 9/7/2008).

Finished with a Alizarin/Transparent Orange glaze, then a Transparent Earth Yellow glaze and lastly a Ultramarine Blue/Burnt Umber glaze on the bottom half, all with drying times in between.

Need to crate this up tonight and hopefully make it in for our annual Holiday Show!

72" x 14" / Oil on canvas

3 comments:

Jared Shear said...

Nice one Donald! I love the brushwork on this one. The whole freeway seems charged with energy. Hope your show goes well.

Donald Yatomi said...

Thanks, Jared! I'm starting to like these freeway themes. Honestly, I don't think that black Toyota Highlander on the left was ever resolved. I wrestled with it for a few sessions and I finally had to let it go. How are things on your end?

Jared Shear said...

Yeah, I can see what you mean on the Toyota....especially on it's side where it flattens out and loses definition. I think with a few well placed brush strokes you would be able to bring that form back out......but easier to say than do.

Things have been going good on my end. Sold quite a few pieces earlier this fall, which I was thankful for that. Getting ready for the long dark cold winter. Stocking up on blue, gray, and more gray......haha